The Controller is accountable for the overall accounting operations of the company, to include providing direction and control to the financial and accounting functions of the company by participating in the formation and implementation of financial plans, furnishing account information for planning and control.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
- Oversee basic accounting functions, such as payroll, collections, account payable, billings, account receivables, cash management and maintaining financial records.
- Maintain regulations and laws of accounting procedures and carries out financial auditing procedures.
- Able to effectively communicate with employees and maintain a positive working relationship when addressing problems and creating solutions.
- Perform accounting team (staff and senior accountant) functions when accounting team is absent or when workload dictates.
Accounting Department Management Duties and Responsibilies:
- Create and maintain a documented system of accounting policies, procedures, workflow, and internal controls.
- Identify process improvement initiatives and provide solutions to enhance accounting policies, procedures, workflow so they remain aligned and appropriate for the various stages of growth the Company is projected to achieve.
- Oversees the operation of the accounting department, including the ongoing evaluation and implementation of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
- Attends meetings between the Operations team and Accounting team to monitor job billing, costs and collections, escalating any issues to Senior Project Managers, Vice Presidents, and other members of the
- Operations team as well as the Corporate Controller as appropriate.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
Reporting Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generates Work in Process (“WIP”) report monthly and reconciles to general ledger. Performs review of WIP report, communicating comments as it relates to estimates, job costs, job billings, and revenue/profit recognition to operations team.
- Prepares timely monthly financial reports in accordance with communicated deadlines, presenting presentation to executive team.
Personnel Management Duties and Responsibilies:
- Provide supervision and professional developmental to educate, develop and motivate the accounting team.
- Creates a team environment that encourages accounting team members to work together within the accounting team, as well as with the operations team, to meet the goals of the accounting department and the company.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or MBA in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration or equivalent business experience
- Minimum of five years accounting experience in a construction company with both project accounting experience and GL accounting or five years accounting experience in public accounting with experience with clients in the construction industry.
- Proven supervisory experience.
- CPA license preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication, problem-solving and leadership skills
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work and interact with departments throughout the organization.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel and Quickbooks Enterprise.