We are seeking a Controller to join a stable and reputable heavy civil construction company with opportunity to be mentored for career advancement. This is a great opportunity to lead the accounting team and be responsive to the needs and challenges required to scale for growth. Position reports to the CFO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead, manage, mentor and develop accounting staff including establishing goals and objectives, and proactively addressing employee related issues.
- Significantly improve the timeliness and accuracy of accounting close.
- Manage and participate, in a hands-on fashion, in all day-to-day accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Inventory and Fixed Asset Accounting, Revenue Recognition, ESOP Plan and Stock Accounting, and Job Cost Accounting.
- Responsible for the preparation and approval of all journal entries, as well as G/L account, Bank and Credit Card reconciliations.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance purposes.
- Monthly review and reconciliation of job cost activity ensuring consistent and proper processes, controls, job cost chart of accounts, coding, and customer billing. Regular review and updating of WIP schedule, working closely with Project Managers.
- Review and revise documentation, processes, and procedures as needed to improve accuracy, increase transparency, and improve control activities.
- Work with operations and ERP system vendors and consultants on any needed system upgrades.
- Manage and coordinate annual physical inventory across multiple locations.
- Own monthly financial reporting including Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Cash Flow, WIP and Job Cost reports, and variance analysis. Add new reporting as required.
- Assist the CFO with corporate insurance policy renewals.
- Work closely with outside CPA firm regarding preparation of corporate income tax returns, as well as supporting the financial audit and preparation of annual published financial report.
- Filing and/or support of the filing of sales/use, and personal property tax returns.
- Daily Banking and Cash Flow Management, as well as maintaining positive relations with banking partners and ensuring that covenant ratios are calculated to support compliance.
- Review financial results versus budget and prior periods, identifying trends and concerns.
- Assist with annual budgeting and monthly forecasting of cash forecast.
- Additional tasks as requested.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance required, CPA preferred.
- 7+ years of general accounting experience and prior construction industry experience is required
- Proficient with data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
- Understanding of US GAAP, internal controls, financial reporting, corporate tax, Job costing and WIP reporting, regulations and best practices
- Advanced MS Excel skills, MS Office proficiency, and experience with project accounting software. Viewpoint Spectrum and Crystal Reports preferred.
- Track record of developing engaged, high-performing teams with a strong commitment to outstanding customer service.