The Grants Specialist Accountant is responsible for providing oversight and guidance for the accounting and compliance of grants. This person will lead the efforts in grant accounting for awarded grants, budget modification and ensure compliance with funding source administrative guidelines. This also includes timely receipt of revenue, accurate submission of financial and other related reports and grant regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain information and documents in support of grant related revenues and expenditures to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and other related regulations, statutes and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Track, Review, analyze and reconcile all grants related activities to all financials and other related reports including cancellations, adjustments and amendments
- Monitor and ensure compliance with federal, state, local and special program reporting requirements for grant activities
- Prepare invoices, JEs, and reports for public and private grants and contracts and ensure deadlines are met
- Prepare and maintain documentation to audit inspections of financial transactions including compliance, billing, funds draw down, and correspondence
- Build and maintain working relationship with program directors
- Analyze various grantor revenue and expenditure reports and make appropriate recommendations to ensure compliance with budgeted grant projections
- Keep Grant Directory with funding source, granting agency, fiscal year and amount
- Support departments with departmental grant budget projections in collaboration with the CFO
- Assist Accounting Manager to perform month end analysis and other ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Prepare monthly payroll allocation entries in relates to grants activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a related field, and/or any combination of education, training and experience
- Three or more years grant/fund accounting as well as general accounting
- Experience with general accounting principles including reporting requirements and procedures related to federal, state and local grants, cost accounting
- Familiarity fund accounting software, preferably MIP, Sage 100 with strong proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with A122 and A133 audits a plus
- Knowledge of principles and practices of contract/grant administration and monitoring.
- Ability to interpret contracts, requirements, policies and procedures relating to grants, applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of specialized reporting requirements and procedures in the preparation of accounting records and financial statements.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work with a wide variety of people, providers and agencies.