Our client is a cutting edge public accounting firm in San Francisco and they are looking for a Senior Tax Manager. This opportunity is a great fit for someone who is passionate about public accounting and all of the incredible fringe benefits the industry offers, but is looking for a far improved work life balance and a place they will want to call home for years to come.
The Senior Tax Manager is responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objections, evaluating and selecting alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues.
In this role, Tax Manager is charged with applying knowledge to understand potential tax issues and recognizing and communicating potential risks and potential changes in the tax policy and making top-level decisions regarding filing, preparation and resolution of questions from federal / state agencies. In addition, the Core Tax Services Senior Manager will be critical member of the office / region leadership team and actively participate in the marketing, networking and business development within an area of expertise and specialization while maintaining client relationships and acting as the primary contact for complex questions.
- Ensures that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies and standards of professional practice. •Preparation of complex individual, trusts, partnership and corporate tax returns
- Conducts top level review of T/R and resolves all tax issues with client; involves directors or Partners where appropriate
- Communicates with client and Assurance any issues identified in tax accrual reviews
- Plans and reviews the tax process and the procedures to be performed to include:
- Budgeting and staffing
- Monitoring engagement process and actual time incurred vs. budget with assistance of Senior
- Timely billing and collection of A/R •Manages client relationships/expectations in accordance with the project
- Provides advice to clients in a timely manner;
- Identifies when research is needed; clearly and concisely frames issues to be researched; and clearly and concisely reports the analysis.
- Identifies complex issues to be researched by engagement team and provides research methodology for efficient research process
- Trains managers / staff on research skills and helps to appropriately frame tax issues for analysis
- Involves firm specialists and managing partner, as appropriate
- ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Accounting for Income Taxes
- Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies and standards regarding ASC 740 and 740-10. •Applies, correctly and proactively, ASC 740-10, and Firm policies, standards, and BDO TQM regarding them
- Helps others to learn and apply ASC 740-10 and Firm policies, standards, and BDO TQM regarding them
- Reviews tax provisions –applies in-depth knowledge of ASC 740-10 if applicable to practice work
- Reviews prepared workpapers
- Explains and discusses with the client components of the income tax provision and uncertain tax positions as well as other complexities surrounding ASC 740-10
- Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes. •Applies the combination of tax knowledge and knowledge of business/industry to recommend solutions
- Maximizes client benefits, especially by decreasing client taxes, while managing risk
- Confers with STS specialists to determine applicability of STS consulting specialties to each client. Involves STS when appropriate
- Monitors implementation of work plans (client service plan) if applicable for tax consulting projects to ensure they are efficiently and effectively conducted
- Manages written or phone inquiries from federal and state agencies with little or no assistance
- Provides effective assistance with protests at the appeals level
- Implements applicable Firm strategies
- Manages client expectations
- effective delegation to seniors and associates
- Develops an in-depth understanding of the technical and practical issues and opportunities regarding one or more areas of taxation, e.g., individual, corporate, property, sales, corporate, pass-through, state and local, international, expatriate, credits and incentives, compensation and benefits, accounting methods, R&D tax benefits.
- May be required to organize and conduct effective internal CPE training sessions in area of specialization, involving Firm Partners
- May train and mentor managers/seniors/associates on specialization areas