The Sr. Cost Accountant is accountable for target costing projects, analysis of process constraints, margin analysis, KPIs and for tracing costs back to individual activities. The Sr. Cost Accountant creates cost analysis reports for the management. This is a 6-9 month contract, part time 2-3 days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review standard and actual costs for inaccuracies
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs using US GAAP
- Perform cost accumulation tasks in collaboration with target costing group
- Perform product COGS, variances and margin analysis
- Conduct ongoing process constraint analyses.
- Create, review and maintain controls and coordinate physical inventory counts and cycle counts
- Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues.
- Report on margins by product and division
- Report on periodic spend variances and their causes
- Analyze material and production costs, costs of sales, product development, overhead, etc.
- Analyze and monitor raw material inventory
- Analyze actual manufacturing costs and prepare periodic reports comparing budget costs to actual production costs
- Perform product margin reporting and analytics
- Develop cost analysis reports for management
- Analyze manufacturing data to identify cost improvement opportunities
- Post transactions and journal entries to the GL
- Assist with the Month, Quarter and Year end close activities
- Generate Purchase Price Variance (PPV) reports and analyze findings
- Analyze costs of raw materials and other supplies and create cost-benefit analyses for comparing vendors
- Conduct inventory reserve analysis on a quarterly basis and generate reports for senior management.
- Partner with cross functional teams to identify inefficiencies
- 4+ years of experience with Cost Accounting, and Analysis
- Strong understanding of US GAAP
- Excellent understanding of Cost of inventory and Cost of goods manufactured
- Ability of analyze and reconcile complex costs in the GL
- Ability to read complex BOMs (Bill of Material)
- Proficiency with NetSuite and advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Analytical mindset, adaptability and critical thinking skills
- Aptitude for re-learning and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Accounting certifications (CPA, CMA etc.).
- Prior experience with food manufacturing industry